Happy National Cookie Day everybody! Last year, when I was just getting started blogging, I made some dilapidated oatmeal cookies for the Great Food Blogger cookie swap. In a cookie swap, you mail out a dozen cookies each 3 different bloggers, and you receive a dozen cookies each from 3 different bloggers. All of the cookies I received were packaged so nicely with wrapping paper, gift tins, and ribbons, but mine were lumps. It was pretty embarrassing
Fortunately, my cookie-baking and cookie-mailing skills have improved a lot since then! This year, I did the Food Blogger Love Cookie Exchange hosted by The PinterTest Kitchen. I mailed out 3 dozen M&M cookies, and I received 3 dozen cookies: chocolate oatmeal cranberry cookies, biscotti, and sugar cookies.
Scaling cookie recipes to make exactly 3 dozen is a struggle. Most recipes for M&M cookies require some cups of M&Ms, but how many M&Ms are in a package? It turns out that a standard 11.4 ounce bag of M&Ms contains 2 cups total of M&Ms. This recipe has neat ingredient quantities. Just pour in the whole bag of M&Ms - no measuring required.
In general, I use this procedure for making cookies in bulk. Melting the butter saves you time, and you can easily adapt the mix-ins. Want chocolate chip cookies? Substitute a bag of chocolate chips for the bag of M&Ms. Want sugar cookies? Simply leave out the M&Ms.
- 3 sticks (24 tablespoons) of butter, melted
- 2 cups of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 4 and ½ cups of all purpose flour
- ½ tablespoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 bag (11.4 ounces) of M&Ms (2 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, and M&Ms.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the remaining wet ingredients: butter, sugar, vanilla, and eggs.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and stir until just combined.
- Line 3 large baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- Scoop the dough into 36 evenly sized balls of cookie dough.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes. The cookies will continue baking after you take them out of the oven.
- Serve immediately. Leftovers keep for several days in an airtight container.
M&M Cookies Nutrition Facts
The ingredients list includes a ton of butter, sugar, and candy. However, you make so many cookies that the nutrition doesn't end up being too awful. Using the ingredients list above, here are the nutrition facts if you make exactly 36 cookies.
|Amount Per Serving|
% Daily Value
Total Fat 10g
Saturated Fat 6g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrates 27g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Vitamin A 5%
Vitamin C 0%
Nutrition facts created using Food Parser
Want more cheap and easy recipes? Stay connected: